Author Topic: Under Golden Skies  (Read 1778 times)

RiRi

• View Profile
Under Golden Skies
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »
"Where am I?" Rinya felt the air leave her lungs as she was bathed in the golden light of early evening. The light alone was so inviting that it made her feel warm. The sight was intoxicating, as if the essences of all that was good in the world had coalesced into a light that gave the impression it could purify whatever it touched. She looked at the sky and was unsurprised to find that even the clouds were bathed in this light and were beginning to show the first colorings of a sunset pink. It was extraordinarily tranquil. So much so that it almost seemed like the scenery was frozen.

She turned her head slightly and gasped as her eyes made contact with what had to be the most extravagant clock tower she had ever seen. This was when she knew her suspicions to be truth. She really was no longer anywhere in the known world of Avellana. It seemed unlikely that this place was part of Avellana anyway. A place this beautiful would have made it into her history lessons. And that's when something truly impacted her...

Rinya looked down at the ground as the waves of anxiety washed over her. "I'm alone. I'm on my own in a strange place and I have no idea where Aelia is." Unconsciously, she reached for Iridescence. It was her last connection to home. Still clutching Iridescence, Rinya raised her hands to her chest and used the hand not attached to her staff-in-disguise to grip her clothing. Since she had been with Aelia for a few weeks she was dressed as Yuliya, her male persona, and these were clothes Aelia had provided for her. There was no guarantee that she was going to see Aelia again. If those dark creatures, the Khuko as everyone back home had started calling them, popped up again...

More than likely she would die.

She needed Aelia. More than that, she missed the brash woman. Their relationship had a rocky start, but Aelia had a pure heart underneath the harsh exterior. Rinya felt the guilt well up again. Aelia still had no idea who she was. As far as she knew, Rinya's name was Yuliya Ascal. There was no way for her to even start looking for Aelia. She had no idea where she even was!

Rinya looked up at the sky again and heaved out a sigh, forcing all but one thought out of her mind. "Where am I going to sleep tonight?"
Rinya Alavara: "Living in such a way that your name is your greatest weakness, and never knowing how to answer that question. It is deception at its worst."

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
  • Of course it's made of tinfoil!
    • View Profile
Re: Under Golden Skies
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
"Oh boy, I beat Violet can't wait to see what I found today!"

Vivian stared at the banquet in his arms. A loaf of bread, six apples, and a box of ice cream, the words 'Sea Salt flavored' Written across the front in fancy lettering. The young boy had felt slightly guilty when he had stolen his haul from that unsuspecting cart, but really, Hadn't it been their fault for not watching it when he had been walking by?

One of the apples in his arms fell out, and began to roll its way downhill, And Vivian turned, following after it. He caught the apple with his foot, and pushed it towards the wall. He then stooped down low, careful not to drop anything else, and put the apple firmly back into place. The young boy then continued walking back up the hill, and let out a sound as the twilight of this world filtered it way through the partially grated walkway.

It had been a full week since their escape for the slaver ship, which had stopped on some world called 'Olympus Coliseum.' Once as far away from the old man who had tricked them as they could get, they had snuck their way aboard another ship, and arrived two days later in Twilight Town. Vivian and Violet had been in amazement at this world's golden sunsets, and had vowed to find the highest point in town for their kip while they stayed here.

As Vivian passed through the entryway into the sunset, he looked up towards the clock tower, directly at the point he was sure Violet was still at. Letting out a sigh, the young child repositioned the food in his arms, and continued walking.

It wasn't very long before he spotted someone before him, staring at the ground, and facing the clock tower's front entrance. The boy stood taller than Vivian, though not by much, maybe a head or so, and seemed to be clutching a bracelet, obviously lost beyond all hope with a complicated look upon his face. Although Vivian couldn't outright tell this newcomers age, he felt a little bad for him, as he was acting a lot like how some of the other orphans had acted when they had lost their homes. Vivian continued to stare at the person as they looked skywards, and sighed.

"Where am I going to sleep tonight?"

Vivian gave a snort, this boy was not used to living on the streets, if his statement was really a concern. he walked closer, and spoke to the stranger. "Oi! It just ain't right, staring like that, and being so close to blubberin... And you call yourself a boy? You won't get nowhere if ya keep on like that all day! It's not like ya need a mungo to hold your hand, right? Vivian wiggled the food around a bit, till one of his arms came free, and he used the newly freed arm to toss an apple at the boy "Me friends call me Vivian, What's your name? You from around here?"
Syphir Locke Fight for today, to live tomorrow

Vivian I bet the mungo set you up to this

Shikaku So, you wish to be a hero?

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
Rinya startled as she heard a voice call out to her. "Oi! It just ain't right, staring like that, and being so close to blubberin... And you call yourself a boy? You won't get nowhere if ya keep on like that all day! It's not like ya need a mungo to hold your hand, right? Near the entryway to this area stood a young boy. He was most definitely younger than herself. He was small with black hair and brilliant eyes that had a color more vibrant than the most lush forests on Avellana. Though he was much too small for his age and he had ragged clothes the boy seemed happy and full of life.

He was also carrying an awful lot of food. Her first instinct told her that he must be homeless. And if he was a child, that probably meant his parents were either dead or abandoned him. It was a sobering thought. She didn't want to imagine what kind of person it must take to abandoned a child. So, as awful as it was, she hoped his parents had died rather than left him to fend for himself in the world.

Well, he thought she was a boy. That eliminated the complication of what she would call herself here. One less thing to worry about she supposed. He started wriggling around then, which confused her quite a bit. But soon enough he had an arm free as was tossing her an apple. She nearly didn't catch it and fumbled a bit before it was solidly in her hands. "Me friends call me Vivian, What's your name? You from around here?" His accent was fascinating. Sadly, it wasn't something she had time to think about.

Rinya held the apple tightly in her hands, finally having let go of Iridescence. "My name is Yuliya. I'm from a place called Avellana." She paused, thinking about something that had confused her when the boy first showed up. Had he said... Mungo? It must be a local word, she thought. "Um... What is a mungo?" Her curiosity got the best of her as she just couldn't get that word out of her mind.

Mungo... What an odd word.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:56:43 PM by Kasaki Kihoya »
Rinya Alavara: "Living in such a way that your name is your greatest weakness, and never knowing how to answer that question. It is deception at its worst."

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:38:57 AM »
Vivian smirked as he watched Yuliya palm the apple, and let go of his hold of the bracelet on his arm. He also flashed a warm smile at him, making sure he knew right quick he was in freindly hands. "Well Yuliya, It's nice to meet'cha. I ain't got no idea where Avellana is, see'in as how I'm not from around these parts... But you look like the kind of kid who didn't never had to learn how to live on the streets, am I right?   Vivian rubbed his nose with his free hand, spreading the dirt on his face a bit, and he looked at the boy sightly confused.

'Not knowin what a mungo is? And here I thought every orphan in London knew what a mungo was... either it aint a common word, outside of home, or he really don't know nothing about the streets...'

" Mungo is a phrase me and me friends all use... But you only use it when talking about adults and all, see. I ain't never met an adult who did me any good in the end. Even me own mum was a good for nothing mungo, or so Johnny always used to tell me, when I asked..." Vivian frowned at the ground for a moment, thinking about his mother, and what had happened to Johnny, at the end of it all, but shook it off, looking back up at Yuliya again. "then again, no one ever said there weren't no good for nothing kids out there either..." his eyes drifted for a moment up towards his and Violet's kip, and he thought for a moment. He wasn't sure this kid was nice or not, and he certainly wasn't going to take him up top with him until he found out, but that didn't mean he planned to leave the boy wandering around down here by himself either. The real question was, how was he going to help him?

Vivian nodded his head, and set his treasures down in a corner, freeing up both his hands. Turning towards the other boy,  Vivian put out a hand, for a shake, while putting the other behind his head, in a very care free and child like way. "And now we met and all, maybe I can help you out a bit, cause you seem like you needs it, and all us orphans gotta stick together, right?"

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »
This kid was cute. He rubbed his nose in such a childish fashion that it was endearing in a way only children could pull off. Rinya listened as Vivian explained about what in the world a mungo was. " Mungo is a phrase me and me friends all use... But you only use it when talking about adults and all, see. I ain't never met an adult who did me any good in the end. Even me own mum was a good for nothing mungo, or so Johnny always used to tell me, when I asked... Then again, no one ever said there weren't no good for nothing kids out there either..." It seemed a bit anti-climactic that it was a term used to describe someone who was an adult.

A rather exotic sounding word, but the way he says it, it almost sounds like an insult, Rinya thought. It was like I thought though. The poor boy lost his mother. By the sounds of it, he doesn't even remember her. In a certain way, that's a relief.

Rinya saw his eyes drift up to the clock tower. She assumed that he was admiring it, much like she had been earlier. "It's a beautiful clock tower," She said, also looking at it for a moment. Vivian just nodded and found a spot to set down his food. Rinya was suddenly grateful for the apple in her hand. Vivian had either worked for it or stolen it. Either way, it hadn't been easy to get all of the food he had been carrying. She should eat it soon. It would be a shame to let this boy's hard work go to waste. For now, she slipped the apple into a pocket in her coat, mimicking the boy's actions in her own way.

She was surprised when Vivian held out his hand. "And now we met and all, maybe I can help you out a bit, cause you seem like you needs it, and all us orphans gotta stick together, right?" For a boy who had never known his parents, by the sounds of it anyway, he had remarkable manners. She still had a hard time trying not to focus on the accent.

Wait...

He had said orphan. Orphan implied that he thought she was a child still. Rinya was still unaccustomed to the idea that even on Avellana she did not look her age outside of the Kingdom of Kyria. Aelia had thought she was 18 at the oldest. She almost laughed when she thought of the incredulous expression on her friend's face when Rinya had told her she was 22. This boy would probably call her a mungo if she told him- And she connected the dots.

Vivian had blatantly said that he thought adults were no good. Everyone always mistook her for being much younger. This boy thought she was an orphan. If she told him she was an adult, then he wouldn't trust her. But if he ever found out she had lied, he'd trust her even less. But her stomach was starting to hurt since she hadn't eaten in a long time, and she really wanted a place to sleep tonight. It didn't matter much where that place was. Her decision was made rather simple when put into those terms.

She took his hand. They shook hands. The lies began again. "I would really appreciate the help if you can offer any. You were right when you said I don't know how to live on the streets." She paused as they released each others hands. Rinya pulled out the apple and took a bite, unable to resist any longer. After swallowing the first bite she looked over at Vivian. "I'm not from here either. But how about we show these... Mungos you called them? Let's show them we won't be kicked around." Her act of confidence was a total front, but as long as she was the only one who knew that, maybe it would be okay.

Besides, there was no shame in running in the face of legitimate danger. Self-preservation and all.

As long as no one caught her in her lies, she would be just fine.

She really, really hated lying.

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
Vivian looked at his new companion strangely. The swift change in attitude was mildly disconcerting to the young boy. As Yuliya took a bite from the Vivian had given him, he shook his head, letting out a small chuckle. he walked over to the stash of food, and hid it behind a bush along the right side of the tower, pulling a small mirror from the space as he did so.

"You can show the mungos all ya like, But I got meself a gang to take care of. I aint about to let meself get caught by um or nothin... But they less they notice us, the better." He tilted the mirror against the setting sun, making the reflection of the mirror glint towards the spot on the upper portion of the clocktower. He did this three times, and looked up, and saw a response, and  a similar glint pointing down towards him. Knowing that Violet would take care of bringing up the food, he pocketed the mirror, and turned back towards Yuliya.

"And now we got that settled, maybe I can show you a trick or two. you look like an older boy, so most of me tricks won't do you no good, on account that they require you look cute and all, but I can show you how to find yourself nice places to sleep, A right good kip and all,  and how to find food, or other thing ya might need."

Although Vivian was still alittle wary about the newcomer, what with the swift change in mood and all, he forced the feeling down. Motioning for his new companion to follow, he started walking down the main road through town, keeping a sharp eye for anything useful or suspicious.

"So, Yuliya... You ever have to steal anythin before?"

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
Rinya watched as Vivian hid the food behind a nearby bush and pulled out the small mirror. What use would a mirror have to a child living on the streets? "You can show the mungos all ya like, But I got meself a gang to take care of. I aint about to let meself get caught by um or nothin... But they less they notice us, the better." Rinya berated herself in her head. Yeah, acting all confident had been a bad move. Another reason she hated lying: She wasn't always good at it. Oh well, too late to change her mind now. But at least she had an idea of how she could repair the damage. Possibly repair it anyway.

Rinya nodded as Vivian put the mirror away again. She'd seen someone up there make a signal similar to the one he had just made. This was obviously the area that Vivian and the mysterious person called home. She wasn't thrilled at all about sleeping outside. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad though if got tips from someone who was obviously a professional at this lifestyle. "And now we got that settled, maybe I can show you a trick or two. you look like an older boy, so most of me tricks won't do you no good, on account that they require you look cute and all, but I can show you how to find yourself nice places to sleep, A right good kip and all,  and how to find food, or other thing ya might need." Then again... Yes, that comment stung a bit. She was a princess and apparently did not look cute as a boy. Her hair wasn't really that short, was it? Automatically her right hand reached up and her fingers trailed through the ends of her hair. Not quite shoulder length, but it was very close.

Vivian looked like he was fighting with his gut instincts as he looked at Rinya and began speaking again. She came pretty quickly to the conclusion of how she needed to craft her persona. "So, Yuliya... You ever have to steal anythin before?"

Rinya let her shoulders sag, her eyes fall to the ground and all her breath come out in a large sigh. She looked up at Vivian, careful not to make herself seem hopeless. Instead she tried to look like someone who has come to accept their position in the scheme of things. "If I can be perfectly honest with you, I'm from a well to do family." Rinya shared, which wasn't really a lie. Something she frequently forgot was that lies peppered with truth often made for the greatest deceptions. "I'm trying to act like I know what I'm doing, but I've got no clue as to anything."

She tried to gauge the boy's reaction, letting the words hang for a moment. But she didn't really know him well enough to tell what his thoughts might be. So she decided to finish her tale. "My father was rather... Strict, you see? Weakness wasn't tolerated. So, I've never had reason to steal anything more than a book from a library."

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »
Vivian continued to walk down the street with his new friend, listening to him talk about his past. Strict family, obviously grew up with more than they needed, but it looked to all the world like that life was behind Yuliya.

"Well," Vivian started, casting a glance back at Yuliya, who had seemed to deflate rather quickly... It seemed to Vivian that Yuliya was rather good at faking emotions. The biggest issue the boy saw, however, was his transitions between them were anything but seamless. Vivian gave a sigh, and felt as if he couldn't just ignore the attempt. He looked forward, following the road, intending to take the boy towards the sandlot. "Bravado is always a good thing to have, specially for a boy, but, If your gonna use it, make sure your target don' see anythin but. Deception only last's as long as ya can hold it, see? Ya seem honest enough with me, but... If ya want ta' really sell somethin like that, you gotta work hard... I do believe ya when you say you ain't stole before though."

Vivian smiled towards the boy, hopefully showing it as the good intentioned advice it had been. Soon enough people began to pass them by, and Vivian grabbed Yuliya's hand, laughing as only little children can, and spoke loudly to him about some dribble about wanting to see ponies or some such, and whispered towards the boy. "Since we got some time before we get where we going, lets start with a lesson that might come in handy. How to blend in, while standing out" Vivian then dragged the boy over to a open stall along the side of the street. The stall was full to the brim with sweets and toys, and it didn't seem like it had even been there for long. As they got closer, the younger boy let out a cheer.

"Brother, Look! Candy! Can't I jus spend alittle bit of that money you gave me? I know it's Uncle Charlie's birthday, but I'll still have enough for his gift if I get jus one, right?"

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
As they walked, Rinya thought about everything that Vivian was saying. It was true that she wasn't very experienced with bravado. She'd never had to use it before. And Aelia had saved her before she'd needed to do much of anything in Auroria. Aelia had provided for her and trained her in combat. That she was still awful at it was beside the point.

She was honestly surprised when Vivian started acting like the child he was. Something about ponies? Then he whispered to her in the familiar tone of someone older than they looked. A lesson in blending while standing out? How in the world did one pull that off? Was it even possible to do something that sounded so contradictory? But the boy didn't give her any more time to think.

"Brother, Look! Candy! Can't I jus spend alittle bit of that money you gave me? I know it's Uncle Charlie's birthday, but I'll still have enough for his gift if I get jus one, right?"

She was plunged headfirst into a charade that she knew nothing about. She had no clues to go on and no idea how to respond. There was no other choice but for her to go along with it and hope she got it right. "I don't know," she said, making her voice sound uncertain. "Wouldn't you rather get Uncle Charlie a nice gift?

Her eyes slid over to the display of candies. There were so many, and each one was in a different colored wrapper. But they were all bright and looked delicious. She had to resist the temptation to let her jaw go slack and allow her eyes to widen. She took her eyes off the sweets, knowing she'd mess it all up if she kept looking.

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
Vivian looked up at Yuliya, giving her a look he had used many time on the street, his best 'poor orphan' look.  He watched the older boy look away from the candy, which was bad. If he looked away he would seem uninterested. quickly shifting a look towards the stall owner, Vivian put his arms around Yuliya's waist.

"Aw! I can still get his that gift if we only spend this right?" He held up a small piece of munny, barely enough to buy a single piece of candy. he started pawing at the candy, making it look like he was looking at each piece closely, and ignoring his 'brother's' advice, passed the currency to the vendor for a single candy. Vivian then began to lead the older boy away. "So, big brother, do you think i'll ever get the chance to ride a pony? They always look so cool in those pictures you showed me!"

After they had put a good amount of distance between themselves and the vendor, Vivian passed Yuliya passed three or four piece of candy, all brightly wrapped, and all different types. "See? even being loud, its still possible to palm what you want... just gotta have a good distraction is all"

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
Rinya looked down at Vivian. Her eyes widened considerably. Vivian was looking up at her with a rather proud and smug look on his face. But it wasn't his face that amazed her.

In his hand were a few pieces of candy. And that wasn't even counting the pieces that he had just handed her. How had he managed it? When had he done it? So many questions floated around her head that she felt as if her head might spin if she thought of anything else. Blinking a few times she looked at the candies in her hand. She closed her hand around them and put them in her pocket.

She felt bad taking stolen goods, but it would do no good to turn back and return them. She would probably be thankful to have the sweets later anyway. No point in getting rid of them if that could end up being the case.

She looked back in the direction the vendor had been, although he was now out of sight. She looked back at Vivian. "How did you do that," she asked, allowing the amazement and confusion to fill her voice. "We were the only ones in front of his stall..." She muttered to herself, just loud enough for the boy to hear.

Knight

• The knight in tinfoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Vivian gave a smirk as they rounded a corner, heading down an alleyway built into the buildings. He placed the rest of the candy into his pockets, and put his hands behind his head. "Oh, that was easy! I picked up a bunch of the candy, remember? I took'em then. I played my own distraction see? " They walked together farther into the alleyway, passing by a sign that read 'Sandlot.'

Vivian tilted his head and nodded towards his companion. "That there looks like a good spot. I think there was a easy way to get on the roofs from there also... so, I guess we might as well start now. what do you think is the first time you need to know about livin on the street?".

The young boy looked at Yuliya and tilted his head, as they continued their march towards the sandlot.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:31:02 PM by Knight »

RiRi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 12:22:30 AM »
Easy? What Vivian had done had mystified her, how could something like that be simple? She envied this boy. Someone who could carry out a task like that with such finesse was most certainly someone she wanted to associate with. She knew she was in a bad spot, and she needed all the help she could get.

Who better than this boy?

They passed a sign that said 'Sandlot' and Vivian began guiding her in that direction while asking her a question. The first thing... One thing popped into her mind as she thought about that question.

She remembered Aelia. She thought about the first time she had stepped into her home. Her body could recall how it had felt to be out of the chilling winds and under a warm shower. And, Rinya thought, maybe that was all she wanted at this point.

"I think I want to learn about finding shelter..." Rinya said with certainty. This was what she needed to know. If she could learn this, everything else would fall into place. She was sure of it.